Wish On Florida in Durban has packing a series of serious surprises. From a stellar intercontinental menu, a sublimely chic restaurant venue to a vibrant young black female Executive Chef, Snegugu ‘Gugu’ Wanda. From aspirations of becoming the next Chief Justice of South Africa to becoming Executive Chef at Wish on Florida, Chef Gugu’s culinary bit and has rewarded us with the delicious experience of fusion culinary treats.
With the cold weather around the corner, Chef Gugu and Wish on Florida have offered us the perfect vegetarian soup dish to enjoy at home. Cosy with hints of smouldering subtle heat of chillies and the sweet notes of sweet potatoes, this recipe is a must for the cold winter nights approaching.
Recipe: Thyme Roasted Sweet Potato and Butternut Soup
- 1 butter
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 4 carrots
- 750g thyme
- 500g Rosemary
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 500ml chicken /veg stock
- 2 chillies / more depending on your preferences of heat
- 250ml full cream
- Peel and cube the sweet potato and butternut.
- Peel the 2 carrots, roughly chop.
- Roughly chop half the onion and celery.
- In a roasting pan add your veg and oil them up real good, add the spices, salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast till soft.
- Finely chop the rest of the onion, garlic, fresh herbs and chillies.
- Roughly chop the rest of the Celery and carrots.
- Heat you pan on high, add your mixture of veg and herbs.
- Allow the veg to brown but do not burn!
- Add the stock of your choice allow to simmer for about 3mins.
- Now add your roasted vegetables.
- Blend the mixture adjust seasoning with salt and pepper you can add a touch of sugar as well.
- Add a dash of cream to finish it off and you done.