The next time you plan to enjoy a juicy, lazy-aged steak, why not add some delicious extras to elevate your dish to a gourmet level?
Serve your grilled sirloin with roasted aubergines a sprinkle of punchy gremolata, and a glass of Spier’s 21 Gables Cabernet Sauvignon, for a feast of note. If you dress your whole, roasted aubergines with a drizzle of extra virgin olive, it results in marrow-like flesh with a deeply aromatic, exquisite taste that makes for a smooth, delicious puree – a great accompaniment for steak.
Grilled sirloin steak with roasted aubergine puree and gremolata
- 2 large aubergines
- Extra virgin olive oil (for drizzling and frying)
- salt & pepper
- 1 small bunch Italian parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (finely grated)
- rind of one small lemon (finely grated)
- 250 g sirloin steak (per person)
- Your choice of pan-fried greens for serving – tender stem broccoli is a good choice
- Preheat the oven to 230 °C. Use a fork to poke holes here and there across the aubergines.
- Place the aubergines on a wire rack on top of a baking tray lined with foil, then roast for 1 hour.
- Remove and leave to cool slightly, then peel carefully and discard the blackened skins.
- Transfer the tender flesh to a blender or small processor, add a splash of olive oil and season with salt & pepper, then process to a smooth puree. Set aside.
For the gremolata:
Mix the chopped parsley, garlic and lemon rind in a small bowl and season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
For the steaks:
Brush the steaks on all sides with olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Heat a griddle pan to smoking hot, then grill on both sides for about 7 minutes in total until medium rare (or adjust to your liking). Remove the steaks and let them rest for 3 minutes.
To serve, plate some warmed aubergine puree, top with rested grilled steak and pan-fried greens, sprinkle with the gremolata and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and serve at once.
About the wine:
Spier 21 Gables Cabernet Sauvignon provides an abundance of cassis and violets with concentrated aromas of cedar and pencil lead. A full-bodied wine with a concentrated structure and opulent finish.
For more information about the wine, please visit:
To enjoy this wine at a discount, join the Spier Wine Club, which offers discounts on wine, hotel accommodation, delicious farm fare, complimentary wine tastings and more. As a member, you’ll also get invites to special Wine Club member events. Read more about the benefits and how to apply on www.spier.co.za/shop.
By choosing Spier, you are supporting Spier’s Growing for Good learning initiatives that empower communities to create positive social and environmental change.