French Toast is one of the easiest breakfast brunch meals to prepare and one of the quickest too. It’s versatility also makes it a favourite in most kitchen because you could go super complex with its add-ons and serving or really strip it down to bare essentials such as syrup or honey and icing sugar.
Also, pending on your expertise, creativity and adventurous nature, you can whip up spicy or sweet versions of French Toast without adding any garnishes of the like. Well, here’s the most basic recipe for you to work with and use as a building block for all your own personal variations of this classic favourite.
- 4 thick slices bread
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Beat egg, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon in shallow dish. Stir in milk.
- Dip bread in egg mixture, turning to coat both sides evenly.
- Cook bread slices on lightly greased nonstick griddle or skillet on medium heat until golden brown on both sides.
Anyway you like! Serve warm with a spiced syrup (vanilla extract + ground cinnamon + pancake syrup), with fruits, with bacon – go wild. The extra flavours are for your palate’s enjoyment.
Just remember to serve! serve! serve! and enjoy.