My favourite dishes in the world are always the ones that require all ingredients to go into one pan or baking tray and into the oven. Why? Because it gives me more time to do other things than actually standing over a stove – not that there’s anything wrong with standing over a stove.
This Honey Garlic Salmon recipe is one of those magic tricks for scoring both in time and taste. It’s hassle-free and convenient and easy to scale up or down pending on how many mouths you intend to feed.
Honey Garlic Salmon
- 4 salmon fillets
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Lemon wedges
- Arrange oven shelf to the middle of your oven. Preheat oven to broil/grill settings on medium heat.
- Season salmon with salt, pepper and paprika. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a skillet or pan over medium-heat until melted. Add the garlic and sauce for about a minute, until fragrant. Pour in the honey, water and soy source; allow the flavours to heat through and combine. Add in the lemon juice; stir well to combine all of the flavours together.
- Add the salmon steaks to the sauce in the pan; cook each fillet (skin-side down if there’s any skin) for 3-4 minutes or until golden, while basting the tops with he pan juices. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- (Optional) Add the lemon wedges around the salmon.
- Baste salmon one more time then transfer the pan to your oven to broil/grill for a further 5-6 minutes, or until the tops of the salmon are nicely charred, and the salmon is cooked to your liking.
- To serve, drizzle with he sauce and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve with steamed vegetables, over rice, with salad or fries.
If you feel like it, you could just have the salmon on its own with a delicious bottle of vino. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that either.