Why people panic when there’s no alcohol in their drinks is beyond me. There are so many delicious cocktails you can make and enjoy as a family. Of course, the beauty of a virgin cocktail, when you’re adulating, is simply adding “vodka” and there you go – a real cocktail!
Anyways, here’s a great recipe for a cocktail that will be a sure hit with you and with your friends and family.
The Pear & Rosemary on the Rocks
- 60ml pear juice from 2 small pears (or really good quality store-bought pear juice)
- 30ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Ice cubes
- Sparkling water
- A sprig of rosemary and slice of pear for garnish
For the herb syrup:
- 200g sugar
- 200ml water
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- To make the syrup, put the sugar and water in a pan on a low heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves. Bring the syrup to a simmer, add the rosemary, and continue to simmer for 5–10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Strain the syrup into a sterilised bottle; it will keep in the fridge for two weeks.
- Combine the pear juice, lemon juice and 25ml of the syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice, and shake well. Strain into a rocks glass and top with a splash of sparkling water.
- Garnish with rosemary and a slice of pear. For a longer drink, add more water and lemonade.
Make sure your ingredients are super chilled in order to enjoy the refreshment. If you want to spice things up, this recipe is great to add shots of whisky to, just don’t get carried away.